A Few tips to help guide family members:
· Educate yourself about Compulsive Hoarding Syndrome.
· Participate in the treatment process.
· Be open to understanding, compassion, and patience.
· Do not get into arguments. It will not help the situation
· Be aware of non-verbal expressions (For example, sighing, rolling of the eyes).
· Don’t suggest what they should or should not do. This condition requires professional therapy.
· Encourage your loved one in the therapy process.
· Acknowledge accomplishments for the steps that are taken.
· Remember that the hoarded environment didn’t happen overnight, therefore, it won’t be fixed over night.
· Do not attempt to purge or remove items without permission. It will only make things worse.